Community General Client not paying after many reminders, next steps to take?

• Client not paying after many reminders, next steps to take?

Jenny created 10 months, 2 weeks ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Jenny

January 12, 2020 at 10:05 am

I have a client (USA based magazine) that I worked with as a sole trader on a monthly column (illustration work) for ~7 years, until they discontinued the magazine. The pay wasn’t great, but it was low stress fun work and I was glad to do it. The problem now is that they haven’t paid me for the last 2 jobs before they closed the magazine. The company still exists, just online only now.

Because of the long-standing relationship, I’ve been very lenient on chasing up the payment. In fact, it’s now over a year overdue. I’ve emailed the client several times, with sympathy that the magazine has finished, but he keeps stalling (“I’ll see what I can do next week” etc).

I’ve contacted The Law Society to see if they can help me get paid through their Lawyers For Your Business scheme. Fingers crossed there.

My other consideration, and what I wanted to get your advice on, is to ‘go public’ by naming & shaming on their social media. eg. Post comments on their Instagram asking to be paid for my work. I really don’t want to have to go to the mattresses on this, I really would rather just get it all sorted in a civil way, but I’m running out of options. What are your thoughts on this kind of behaviour? Obviously I have no interest in working with them again, so this is one bridge that I will willingly to lose.

Thanks in advance!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now