Headquarters: Kelowna, BC
Filtering the negative to make room for the positive.
At Two Hat, our mission is to help social networks build safe and healthy online communities by removing negative interactions to make room for positive human connections. We believe that everyone should be free to share online without fear of harassment or abuse.
Processing nearly 30 billion interactions a month, Two Hat enables clients across a variety of social networks and gaming companies to deliver positive user experiences by detecting and filtering harmful content in real time, before it reaches the community. More than just a filter, we provide an all-in-one content moderation solution, with data analysis, content escalations, flexible workflows, auto-moderated user reports, and more. Clients benefit from our scalable, autonomous, and transparent solution, as well as our team of industry experts who consult on best practices and industry standards. As a leading provider of content moderation best practices, we believe we can restore the original purpose of the internet – to empower positive human connection and facilitate healthy social online interactions.
Removing illegal content is a shared responsibility. To that end, we work with international governments and law enforcement in helping to prevent the targeting of children through the internet, and train AI to detect new child exploitation material.
Who you are
To help continue fueling our growth, we are looking for a complex problem solver with a delivery mindset to join our team as a DevOps Specialist. This is an opportunity to be part of something that adds true value and meaning to the world while continuing to work at a fast pace on high availability cloud products. You will apply your technical expertise to build and maintain tools for high scalability deployment, monitoring and operations, as well as troubleshooting and resolving any issues in the development, testing, and production environments of our AI powered solutions.
Why you want this role
Purpose and impact. We’ve said it a few times, but what we do matters. We are building solutions that make a difference.
Cutting edge technology. Our products must operate at high speed and low latency. We’re taking on the close to the impossible challenge of bringing latency down to double-digit milliseconds. You want to:
- Build and implement automation, deployment and testing tools.
- Monitor and check solutions in production.
- Automate monitoring and alerting of metrics.
- Database scale without downtime.
- Contribute to the design and deployment on Cloud platforms.
- Set up and maintain large database systems, assessing and upgrading core infrastructure to optimize hosting costs, latency and increase resiliency of system.
- Create a safe platform for development team to launch code.
Growth and challenges. You want to bring your knowledge, expertise and lessons learned to influence and help build out our processes and tools. We have elastic infrastructure changes from dozens to thousands of instances occurring over the course of minutes. We need to apply these changes seamlessly without losing data. You want to:
- Work effectively within an ‘always up, always available’ environment, keeping up-to-date with best practices and the latest tools and technologies.
- Actively provide support to internal and external stakeholders and collaborate with vendors.
What you bring
- Technical background and expertise. You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering and 5+ years working with high availability systems. You have hands-on expertise with:
- Cloud technology and an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of different cloud providers and services.
- DevOps toolchain.
- Python, Bash.
- Database server technologies such as Postgres, Cassandra, Redis, Volt.
- Automation and deployment tools such as Chef, Puppet, CloudFormation, Jenkins.
- A passion for Agile. You thrive in a fast-paced and Agile Kanban environment. You can participate in bi-weekly sprints and weekly retrospective, planning and backlog grooming meetings.
- A growth mindset. You have the ability to think big, keep up to date on emerging trends and industry best practices. You are open to feedback and on a personal mission to pursue new learnings at every opportunity.
- A delivery focus. You have a proven track record managing competing priorities while maintaining an ability to execute on time, beyond expectations.
- An innovative team approach. You are a team player with a positive attitude punctuated by high energy, initiative and perseverance. You can effectively build working relationships, be accountable and coordinate resources with cross-functional teams.
Our CEO and Founder is a visionary who believes in a better internet for everyone- and it’s a vision each one of us stands behind. Sure, it’s a lofty goal; and maybe it sounds impossible…but we don’t think it is. Our technology is capable of more now than when we started, but unsafe users are growing increasingly deceptive. We continue to step up our game and meet those challenges at every turn.
Right now, we are growing and we aren’t slowing down anytime soon. We are looking for brilliant, innovative and deeply conscientious people to join our team and be part of our mission. This is a place where:
- We have an evolving startup culture of fiercely dedicated and collaborative individuals.
- A tech giant praised us for tackling – and solving – a highly complex chat feature.
- We coordinate and run an “Amazing Race” event celebrating our six year anniversary.
- Spot rewards are handed out by the CEO.
- We host a “Mug Club” which is our version of a Ted Talk presented by anyone with a bright idea.
- Pink Shirt Day means something to us on a deeper level.
Interested in applying but worried you don’t have it all? At Two Hat we know not everyone gains their experience following a traditional path. If you share our values, want to make a difference and meet 70% of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Express your interest here or follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn to learn more about us.
Two Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply: http://bit.ly/2pgsdZG